For an explanation of my NaBloPoMo theme, click here.
Yet another bulleted list of my tales of woe… some of these topics/stories aren’t good enough to stand on their one but when listed together under a general theme of embarrassment I think they grow in value. Don’t worry, there are some nice long stories coming up soon!
Also, most of these seem to have happened while at work. I’m not sure if that’s because I tend to perform the majority of my act of stupidity in the workplace, or if they are more embarrassing because of the location.
- I once got the heel of my shoe stuck in the little crack between the elevator doors at work. When I tried to wiggle it free, it almost came off! I spent the rest of the day walking very strangely because the heel of my shoe was so loose.
- Note to self: when packing for a business trip, make sure that all of the clothes that you pack actually fit. There is nothing worse than getting dressed for a business meeting 5 minutes before you are supposed to meet your boss in the lobby and realizing that your shirt is going to show a little more than you bargained for.
- On a related business-travel note, it is not pleasant to walk through O’Hare while trying to cover up the fact that you have a giant hole in your pants. Next time, when you realize that you are stuck on something (like a sign post, for example), carefully examine before recklessly ripping yourself (and your pants) away from the post.
- If you are going to change your shirt 30 seconds before you leave the house, always be sure that you assess your bra situation, too. For example, if you were wearing a black bra/shirt combo, but suddenly change to a light blue shirt, maybe you should realize that the black bra is not longer the best option. Ideally, you should realize this before you are presenting in front of a room full of people.
- Few things will make your face burn like having a the senior vice president of the group you work with lean over during a meeting and whisper something about ‘the barn door’.
- ‘Wet Paint’ signs are there for your own good. Pay attention to them. Otherwise, you may find yourself accidentally brushing up against a wall and walking around for several hours with a skunk-like stripe on your ass. And I mean that hypothetically, of course.
I’m sure we’ve all had a few of these types of things happen to us, so feel free to share yours in the comments!